What’s on your list of goals to accomplish? Let me guess. You’d like to get in-shape and/or lose weight. I should know because I’ve been around the block as a personal trainer NYC for quite a while. 8 out of 10 people are attempting to lose weight in one way or another. And most of them have failed miserably.
Diet and fitness products and programs are out there for you but most of them are designed to sell you on fast, easy, and amazing results. As a Personal Trainer NYC for over a decade I know that fast, easy, and amazing are adjectives that should not be used in the same conversation with attaining spectacular health and fitness.
We have endless fitness, health, and nutrition products and services that will seduce and hook a person who is willing to pay for remedies and cures for obesity and poor health. But vital health and fitness is not found in a bottle or package or even one piece of equipment. Think of these products as tools but not the solution.
Quick and easy doesn’t always win the race. Remember the story of the tortoise and the hare? The Hare and Tortoise were competitors in a race. Whoever crossed the finish line first was the winner. The Hare, a flashy fellow was speedy. He definitely thought he was going to win because of his speed. He sped along the countryside for a little bit and decided to take a nap since of course he was going to be the winner. The Tortoise was definitely the underdog. He was slow but always moving forward.
Guess who won the race? Surprisingly the Tortoise won. The Hare was so confident in his thought he’d win that he snoozed too long to get to the finish line first. The Tortoise although slow never stopped moving, steady and consistent.
You could apply this famous Aesop fable to diet and exercise. Be a tortoise. Slow, consistent, and patient with your process and method of attaining vital fitness and health. Go back to basics rather than choosing the latest fad of the week.
Being in the fitness industry as a certified personal trainer NYC, I have seen great results from my clients who have been consistent. I have no trendy tricks up my sleeve but sound effective fitness workouts that focus on the individual’s needs and goals are really what have worked.
The following is a list of tips that will get you back to basics with effective methods to support you on your journey to great health and fitness.
1. Eat your green veggies. Can you hear your Mother in your head with this one? Rich in phytochemicals and antioxidants, these leafy deals will help lessen your risk of cancer and strengthen your immune system. Think swiss chard, spinach, broccoli, and kale.
2. Avoid certain foods. This will help in a gradual and steady change. What are the things to avoid? Anything fried, salty, sugary, and processed.
3. Build some muscle. I’m sure you’ve heard this for quite some time but it’s never too often. Resistance training is miraculous. It will increase your metabolism, burn fat, increase bone density, and help correct postural distortions.
4. Get your heart pumping! Walking, biking, jogging, and dancing are just a few cardiovascular activities that will not only keep your heart healthy, but will increase circulation, burn fat, and help manage stress.
5. Stay Hydrated. Many of us go throughout our day in a state of dehydration. Staying dehydrated will decrease energy, may increase likelihood of kidney stones, affect critical thinking abilities and worst case scenario cause kidney failure. So drink up!
6. Get some rest. Stress can kill you girls and boys. It has cost Americans roughly $ 300 billion dollars a year because of the adverse effects such as depression, acute anxiety, heart disease and obesity. Learn meditation or yoga to help train our brain and body to relax. Don’t forget your 7-8 hours of sleep a day.
7. Get some support. You are influenced by your environment so it’s wise to choose people close to you who are focused on health and fitness. Hire a personal trainer. Join a fitness club with a friend; anything that will help you with your shift to a healthy lifestyle.
Being a personal trainer NYC for over a decade I know that getting back to basics for health and fitness is essential. Put down that book about getting skinny in 14 days or that weird exercise contraption that promises you a six-pack in 10 days. Let’s be real. Just like the Tortoise-Hare fable, slow and steady wins your race to vital health and fitness.
Diane Williams, Personal Trainer NYC is a dreamer, a boxer who could knock out a grown man, and an always evolving Curvy Goddess. She is a former plus-size model for the Wilhelmina Modeling Agency and now a fitness expert and advocate for women who wear sizes 10 and up. Founder and creator of Curvy Goddess Lounge and Curvy Goddess Workout, the premier workout designed for the Curvy Woman, she believes that “Greatness belongs to us all.” For more information on health, fitness, and fat loss visit http://www.CurvyGoddessWorkout.com.